Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Whimsical Wednesdays--Winter Wonderland

Hey, hey, hey, everyone!

Happy Wednesday from Cooooollllldddd Colorado.  My former home, Alamosa, has been running into -35 to -50 degree windchills, but here in Hoehne, it's getting into the 50's during the day.  Anyhoo...I digress, but the theme of cold has a lot to do with today's Whimsical Challenge!, which is "Winter Wonderland."  The challenge is to use a snowflake somewhere on your project.  I also used Stephanie's fun Whimsical Designs stamps.  Read on to see how I used them and links for where to purchase--Best.  Stamps.  Ever.  And I will state that I owned all four sets of stamps *before* I was asked to be on this team, and I love them all!



The project I decided to do today is a shaped card.  I used my Gypsy and the Christmas cartridge which came preloaded on it.  I began by using the shadow feature to weld two of the snowflakes together (I flipped the one on the right first), and then I added a snowflake without the shadow feature.  I grouped all of these and enlarged them until the size of each snowflake was about 6"x6".  I cut the welded pieces on plain white cardstock and the layering piece on some blue paper from DCWV.  When I got the layer glued on, I didn't really like the effect, so I adhered a piece of black cardstock to the back of the snowflake and cut around it with my exacto scissors. (Sometimes I think I have the scissor skills of a 5 year old...LOL).  I liked it much better with the solid black background.  I did the same thing to the interior of the card, but I used white cardstock for that.

Next came the cutie little penguin.  I cut the shadow layer, the blackout layer, and the white layer at 2 1/4", give or take.  I laid them all out on my gypsy so I could cut them all at once.  I also cut the feet from this cute cut.  I added the hat and the scarf from Everyday Paper Dolls, stretching them to fit on the penguin by layering the cuts over each other on my Gypsy screen.  Then I separated them and laid them out for cutting.  I also cut the fishing pole and fish from Everyday Paper Dolls.  Because the penguin is "ice fishing," I cut the pole short, like an ice fishing pole.  I added some wire for fishing line, and mounted the penguin on an action wobble.  The fish is attached with an Elmer's thick glue dot.


I drew his sweet face with my gel pens and colored his beak with a SU marker.  I added some blush to his cheeks with a swab, along with some freckles and a little "snow" detail to his his hat.

The card is for some friends who went ice fishing with us a few days ago.  I was able to find the perfect sentiment by combining some stamps.


The "thanks for" comes from the Whimsical Designs "Everyday Sentiments" set.  It is part of a stamp that says "thanks for your kindness."  I just colored the part I needed with a SU marker.  "Chillaxin" comes from the Whimsical Designs "Snow Much Fun" set, also colored with the same SU marker.  This was followed by "with us" that I made from some individual letter stamps (I think studio g) that I colored with the same marker.  

Now it's your turn! Be sure to head over to the Whimsical Designs blog to check out all the projects from the design team.  They are all awesome!  While you are there, link up your own challenge project.  Can't wait to see what you create, and you might just make top 3!  Wouldn't that be somethin'!

Oh!  And don't forget our blog hop this weekend...Starts February 1 and runs through February 3, and includes lots of fun projects and lots of great candy!

TTFN!

--Jen 


7 comments:

  1. Aaaaw what a cute shaped card.. The penguin is adorable..
    hugs
    Nanné

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your shaped card! And that penguin is just too cute!
    ♥s & hugs,
    Nica

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute little guy!! I love the shape of the card.
    Just love it!!
    yvette

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of my fav cards that you have created. I LOVE the bold colors..the little penguin is adorable. This would make for an awesome ornament too;) Great job with the sentiment too Jen. Thanks for the inspiration:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is super cute and WOW you drew that face?? I'm impressed, looks like a stamp!! Carri~Abusybee

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH MY! That little guy is having a blast! Your hand drawn details are amazing, Jen! Thanks for sharing the step-by-step...always helpful! This is one super-cute card!

    ReplyDelete

I really love to read your comments! Thanks for the love!