Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Whimsical Designs....Textiles!

Welcome to another great Whimsical Wednesday Challenge!  This week our wonderful sponsor is the Freckled Fawn.

  

The winner of this challenge will receive a $20 gift certificate to this fun store that features crafting accessories and embellishments.   

This week's challenge is to use textiles somewhere on our project.  I decided to make a desk decor item for my sister-in-law, whose birthday is this week.  The project was inspired by  a digi stamp that I have had for quite a while.  It was long before I ever really thought that I would use digital stamps, so I have no idea whose work it is, which makes me sad because I like to give credit where it is due.

Here is my project:


I love this little gal walking in her garden.  I started with a piece of 4 1/4"x 8 1/2" chipboard.  I covered this in denim from a pair of my boy's jeans that he has outgrown.  I purchased a puzzle for a dollar at Wal-Mart and had my daughter paint the pieces with blue acrylic paint.  I  used my hot glue gun to adhere them in several layers around the board.  I coated them with Mod Podge to give them some gloss.  Then I adhered my cute stamp...I colored her with MS dye ink markers, some SU markers, and some gel pens.  I used chalk on her skin. I also added some stickles to the flower centers.  Then I started adding embellishments.  I cut the pocket out of an old patch and used my white gelly roll pen to add stitching.  I made some bows out of strips of denim from the same pair of jeans and adhered those.  I found some pearl buttons in my stash and added those.  Finally, I added some pearls and some roses (made out of old lace that I had in my stash).



The little denim pocket holds a hand cut tag that says "May all your wishes come true" from the Whimsical Designs "Everyday Sentiments" set.  I colored the stamp with a SU marker before stamping it on the paper.  I like the flexibility of using brush markers to color stamps.


The tag is tied with baker's twine that I made with white twine and the same SU marker.   
I finished the project by adding a stand to the back.  Here is a closer look at the cute digi I used:


Be sure to head over to Whimsical Designs and join us in this week's challenge.  Even if you are new to using textiles (like me) give it a try and let your creativity take flight!






4 comments:

  1. Beautiful project! Colors are so bright and fun. Thanks for the details on how you created this. Very clever idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the use of your sons jeans ! Great card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Jenn... I love all the texture you used... The jeans, lace flowers and puzzle pieces. Great job.

    Tereese (Friday)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your sister in law is going to be excited with it. It's lovely.
    Yvette

    ReplyDelete

I really love to read your comments! Thanks for the love!